Monday 31 December 2007

doctors and needles


Poor Naomi is having quite the week. In addition to her trip to the emergency room (nose is fine now), the rounds of immunizations for the trip to Nepal have begun. So far she has had three within 8 days. There will be the last hepatitis A/B shot in 14 days, plus 3 rabies shots, 1 for Japanese encephalitis, and I don't think that's the full list. And although she was an angel for the first 2 needles, so brave she didn't even cry, after the nasal nightmare at the hospital, she has developed a bit of a generalized fear of all medical professionals- I imagine this is perfectly rational from a 4-year-old's perspective. At the hospital, they let me give her the sedative medication up her nose ("trust me, I'm an epidemiologist.."). Today she got all worked up, and was crying so hard she didn't even notice when the doctor shot her in the ass. Once again I had to promise Scooby-Doo (I hate that damned dog) and more chocolate ice cream.

No comments: