Wednesday 5 December 2007

Happy Chanukah!


School is almost almost over (last exam yesterday, 2 papers and one stats assignment to go, just one more week!), and so now I can focus more energies into planning our trip. The past 2 weeks has been pretty stressful. Everyone in our house keeps saying, "I wish we could go to Nepal today." I've been making a list in my head of things I want to do there. I absolutely cannot wait to see honest-to-god snake charmers. I've always wanted to, and now I will have the chance. I also intend to visit a host of health practitioners who can advise me on my migraines, but more importantly, I can't wait to go to a yoga centre there, see hippie-dippy backpacker land in Thamel and Pokhara, climb to the Peace Pagoda, visit a wildlife reserve, see the bright-red spring rhododendron flowers in bloom (the national flower). And of course to meet the people, see Naomi in a Nepali school uniform, see her make new friends. And there's the monsoon to come...

I realise I'm sounding a little hippie-dippy here myself, and that's okay, but there's a lot more to me than that. But I have to be more of a mom for a while, I feel I have neglected poor Naomi these past few weeks, studying like mad. I'm back at home again everyday, I have time to cook proper meals again, and maybe, just maybe I'll finish all the laundry by New Year's (last year I was just 2 loads away before I ran out of soap on December 31 - how sad am I to spend New Year's Eve trying to get caught up with the laundry), and if we're really lucky, I'll find the surface of my desk and the full uncovered area of the kitchen table...I'm a great cook, a good mom, but a terrible housekeeper.

For now, it's just an hour before sunset when we will light our chanukah candles, and Naomi's eyes shine just as bright. Yesterday she got a hand-made mermaid doll, and she's been playing with her all day.

It's a happy day! :-)

No comments: