Sunday 2 March 2008

Date Night (no I don't mean fruit)

Well, tonight is supposed to be date night, that rare occasion when Michael and I spend time together after dark outside the house together sans enfant. I can't actually remember the last time this took place. Quality time for us is generally an hour or two when our schedules don't collide spent in comfy clothes on the couch in front of the TV. Usually Naomi is laughing and tickling and crawling all over us. Sometimes we have a conversation of substance when driving together in the car, if we're driving together in the same car that is. Somedays we only pass each other in opposite lanes on the highway, with Michael working nights and my classes during the day. Poor Naomi has two very exhausted parents a lot of the time.

So the plan is to go to the movies in an actual theatre, with movie theatre popcorn and everything (oh how I love that neon yellow stuff that is movie theatre popcorn!). I think the last movie I saw in a theatre with Michael was...I'm thinking...we saw Sicko on video...nope, it's not coming to me. We definitely went to the movies with friends on New Year's Eve, 2006! That's also the last time we did anything as a couple with other people. Pretty sad indeed. We have no life. Or we have very solitary lives for a married couple, which is a big reason why we need to get to Nepal. Now at least we have a shared dream again, and even that is already bringing us closer together when we were starting to drift apart. It's just so important to have something to look forward to. When everything becomes day-in, day-out, hum-drum doldrums, you have to find a point of light shining on the horizon, and focus hard to get you through.

This is all in the event that it doesn't snow again, of course, as it did last night, causing me yet another NDE (near death experience), as a truck lost control and nearly hit me on the drive home.

No comments: